Thursday, July 23, 2020

Genesis 28:16

Then Jacob woke from his sleep and said, “Surely the Lord is in this place—and I did not know it!”

Lord, I know You are here.

I know You are here
even when I cannot feel You.

I know Your presence
never leaves me.

I know Your presence,
Your spirit fills me.

Sometimes, I think it is Your essence
I recognize in that sweet earthly smell
that erupts from the ground after a rain.

Sometimes, I think it is Your touch
that I feel when the wind carries
that fine mist across the water

and drapes itself like a prayer shawl
across my shoulders.

I hear You, Lord.  I hear Your own prayer.
I hear You in the buzz of that fat, old bumblebee
gathering its morning harvest.

I hear You in the zip of the dragonfly
as it stops and darts and hovers
and finally settles on the lily pad.

Even in the silence, Lord,
when all I can hear is the pounding
of the blood in my ears,
and the rush of the air as I breathe,

when the only things that speak to me
are the creak of my back,
and the groaning of my heart,
and the tears begging to be freed,

even then, Lord, Your song
soars within me, and the hymn
You sing is one word … live.

And the refrain is simply … breathe.

You are here, Lord.
and I pray I feel Your presence
with every waking breath.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery

I have to say that given all my health problems, I have been so blessed to have never needed surgery up until this point in my life.  Though...