Tuesday, June 23, 2020

1 Corinthians 13:12


For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known.

Lord, there are days when
I long to look in the mirror
and see not my current reflection,
but the face that I faced as a child,

and to that child, I will smile,
and to that child, I will say,

I know you want to hear
that things will get better

and they will get better,
and then they will get worse again.

There will be days of wonder and joy
and there will be days of 
heartache and desperation.

There will be tears of happiness,
days when your soul soars over
the highest mountains,

and there will be tears of deep grief,
days when the earth seems to open wide
underneath you and swallow you whole.

But in all these days,
both the days that lift you
and the days that crush you underfoot,

in all these days,
you will live.

You will live.
You will breathe.
You will draw breath

and in that breath
will always be
the sweet presence,
the oh so sweet essence,
of the almighty God.

And in all these days,
I promise you,

that God will set firm
the ground in front of you,

that God will catch
you when you stumble,

that the light of God
will chase away all shadows,

that darkness, though present,
will never extinguish the light of God,

that no matter how impermanent
your days, God Himself is permanent.

And then I will take a step back
from the mirror and wipe away
the tears that roll down her face,
the slick condensation that has
gathered there on the surface,

and I will smile,

and I will say, finally,

God has you.

Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Surgery

I have to say that given all my health problems, I have been so blessed to have never needed surgery up until this point in my life.  Though...