Monday, April 6, 2020

Let It Rain


Lord, I feel reborn
in the sunrise.
I feel woke to the world

and my soul stretches
and yawns and then flexes
its spiritual muscles and says,
“Yes, bring on the day.”

I can do all things, Lord—
all things on sunny days,
because You are light
and Your light feeds me

and strengthens my spirit
and suddenly anything is possible.

But Lord, we need the rain too.
We need the rain to say,
“Stop for a moment.
Listen.  Be still.  Take a breath.”

The sunlight lifts me high
on its shoulders and says,
“Shout!  Sing!  Make a joyful noise!”

But the rain puts its hands
on my shoulders and says,
“Hush, now.  Be still.  I’m doing
something here.”

And so, I sit by the window
and I take deep breaths,
and watch the raindrops
dance across the lake
and delight the fish below.

I watch the rain fall
and seep into the earth
and turn the pale, dusty
soil a deep, rich brown.

I watch the rain caress
each blade of grass,
speaking softly to it
and telling it to drink fully.

Lord, You are light
and we need that light,
but You are also living water
and we come to You,
all of us who are so very thirsty.

So let it rain, Lord.
Let it rain.

Amen.
Psalm 100:1
John 4:10
Philippians 4:13


Prayer also inspired by Crowder's "Let It Rain."


No comments:

Post a Comment

God Loves Me

This past Friday, I stepped outside to get pictures of the rain for my next book.  The heavier rain had tapered off to a simple drizzle and ...